Dec 16, 2019
At the end of 2019, William
Osler’s legacy is stronger than ever; he has been called the
“Father of Modern Medicine” and held up as the paragon of the
modern physician. In this episode, I’m going to explore the
historical Osler -- just who was William Osler in the context of
rapidly changing scientific medicine at the dawn of the 20th
century, and how did he become so influential? But I’m also going
to explore Osler the myth -- what does the 21st century obsession
with the man say about us, a century after his
M, William Osler: A Life in Medicine.
CS, Osler goes viral: “The Fixed Period” revisited,
Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2018 Oct; 31(4): 550–553.
- Cooper B, Osler’s role in defining the third
corpuscle, or “blood plates”,
Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2005 Oct; 18(4): 376–378.
E, Vaginismus, The medical news, 1884. Retrieved online
AF, A Treatise on the Principles and Practice of Medicine.
- Justin MS, "The Entry of Women into Medicine in America:
Education and Obstacles 1847-1910". Retrieved from:
- Ludmerer KM, Cultural origins of residency
training, OUP Blog, retrieved from
- Ludmerer KM, Learning to Heal: The Development of American
Medical Education (New York: Basic, 1985).
- National Library of Medicine, The William Osler
Papers, retrieved from:
W, Aequanamitas. Retrieved from:
W, An Alabama Student and Other Biographical Essays, retrieved
- Periyakoil VS, What Would Osler Do?
J Palliat Med. 2013 Feb;
- Rezaie S, From Hippocrates to Osler to FOAM,
D, Doctors: use social media with restraint, STAT 2019 Jun 10.
- Warner JH, The Therapeutic Perspective: Medical
Practice, Knowledge, and Identity in America,